Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I'm Linkified :)

Finally. I've got my own little feed . For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, see the little orange box with the letters 'XML'? That's a special link containing information that makes it easy for anyone using a "newsreader" or "RSS Reader" to subscribe to my blog.

It's not a link that's meant to be clicked on; its job is to identify my blog to your newsreader program and makes the content or "feed" of my blog available for download. It's a concept called RSS, or Really Simply Syndication. You can read more about RSS in this PC World magazine article.

A newsreader is a program kind of like your email program. It works by going out and "pulling" or collecting infomation from various feeds that you've subscribed to. Rather than subscribe to email newsletters (and worry about spam), you subscribe to RSS feeds and read the blogs or news in your newsreader.

There are web-based newsreaders that work kind of like Hotmail, the online email program, and standalone programs or ones that are integrated with your browswer. One highly rated stand-alone newsreader program I've used is called Pluck, which works with your internet browser.

So if you're like me and always forget to visit a particular website or blog (like AskMyPaul), then you can "subscribe" to my blog with a simple newsreader program.